Curriculum Vitae – Peter Organisciak
PhD Student in Library and Information Studies
August 2010-present | University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
MA in Humanities Computing – Library and Information Studies
September 2008-August 2010 | University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
- Thesis: Why Bother? Examining the Motivations of Users in Large-Scale Crowd-Powered Online Initiatives
Honours BA in Communication Studies and Multimedia
September 2004-June 2008 | McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
January 2009 – July 2009 | Metroland West Group | Hamilton, ON
Private sector instructor and course designer. 1-hour course, “Crowdsourcing”, taught every week to editorial, marketing, and advertising employees at newspaper publisher.
December 2007 – June 2008 | Metroland West Group | Hamilton, ON
Basics of web-development taught to newspaper employees from creative and news departments. (2007, 2008)
“Introduction to Computing in the Humanities”
September 2007—December 2007 | Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia – McMaster University | Hamilton, ON
Teaching assistant to Prof Stéfan Sinclair. In tutorials, taught introductory web design, particularly XHTML, CSS, usability and online media.
November 2007-December 2007 | Metroland West Group | Hamilton, ON
2-hour course “Mashups” taught to newspaper employees from creative and news departments. Topics covered included history of content on the Internet, practical uses of mashups, and hands on introduction to creating mashups.
Research Assistant – Digital Collections and Content
August 2010-present | Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois | Champaign, IL
Supervision by Carole Palmer and Miles Efron.
September 2008-June 2008 | Office of Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Alberta | Edmonton, AB
Supervised by Stan Ruecker and Geoffrey Rockwell. Project included:
- Just in Time Research (JiTR): Research environment considering on-demand research.
- Day of Digital Humanities: Project documenting 24 hours in the field of Digital Humanities, and visualizing such semantically linked data.
- Flash Text Analysis Tool (FlashTAT): Tool for embedding text analysis tools into a webpage.
March 2008 – August 2008 | Hamilton, ON
Various Projects in programming, design, and academia. Including:
- Spectator Map Generator – Hamilton Spectator – Tool for creating custom maps for online articles.
- SmartTexts – Dr. Geoffrey Rockwell – Project visualizing a tool for archival of web projects.
- “The Body Snatchers“:Trench Raid at Roclincourt – Dr. Kathy Garay – Animation of WWI trench raid. Funded by the Peace and War in the 20th Century project.
Fall 2007 – Present | Chappell Studios | Toronto, ON
Photographer at University of Alberta, Grant McEwan convocations, and McMaster University convocations.
June 2007—present | Mixed Media | Hamilton, ON
- Website redesign for the James Street North Art Crawl. Not implemented.
- An example of redesign found at http://www.porganized.com/JameSt.
- Coded in CSS and PHP, uses WordPress as a content management system.
July 2004—July 2006 | Hayden Industries | Hamilton, ON
- Main medium of design was for publishing.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Flash.
- Example work at http://porganized.com/commercial.html.
July 2004—September 2004 | Crawford and Associates | Hamilton, ON
Graphic design for computer software interfaces.
June 2010—June 2011 | Mozilla Labs
- Part of Mozilla Labs “Crowdsourcing Crowds” team, investigating future collaborative services from Mozilla Labs.
June 2005—June 2008| Between the Lines | Hamilton, ON
- Strong experience with Adobe InDesign.
- Examples available at http://porganized.com/publishing.html
September 2006—June 2008 | McMaster Multimedia Students Society| Hamilton, ON
Prior to President, held the position of Treasurer, August 2005-April 2006.
September 2005 | McKay Hall | Hamilton, ON
September 2005, September 2006 | McMaster Humanities Society | Hamilton, ON
September 2005—April 2006 | McMaster Humanities Society | Hamilton, ON
Position representing the interests of the first-year students in the Faculty of Humanities.
- Ian Lancashire Graduate Award (Best student paper, SDH-SEMI 2011)
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship (2009)
- McMaster Dean’s Honour List (2007, 2008)
- The Bank of Montreal Humanities Multimedia Scholarship (2007)
- Time Magazine Person of the Year (2006)
- St. Joseph’s Community Scholarship (2004, 2006)
- Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship(2004)
- McMaster University Entrance Scholarship (2004)
- Honour J: “For Excellence in academic and extra-curricular activities at Saint John’s College” (2004)
- Silver Medal – Skills Ontario Animation Competition (2004)
- Saint John’s College Honour Roll (2002, 2003, 2004)
- 1st Place City Standing in Cayley Mathematics Competition (2002)
- 1st Place City Standing in Pascal Mathematics Competition (2001)